Hope all is well with you,
I’m so excited to get you going on your job search and share with you a SECRET and the FIRST STEP you must do. Look inward! Yes, that’s it, that is the SECRET! Reflect and take inventory of your skills and experience and assess what you love doing or what you are passionate about. PASSION + COMPETENCY = MEANINGFUL WORK. This is a very crucial step. If you don’t know who you are, how will you find your perfect job? If you don’t know the value you bring, how can you market yourself? More than ever this step is important especially in the era of Artificial Intelligence (AI). How will your skills, experiences and passions best match a job or career working alongside AI.
On average, people switch jobs every 2 to 4 years. Believe it or not, the emerging trend is that people are leaving their jobs, not for a similar position elsewhere, but to make a complete career change. Making this transition requires continuous review of your brand. This includes updating your resume, your LinkedIn profile, and any other platforms or social media where you like to hang out.
This first step is the foundation work which will then assist you in the following ways:
- Make you focus on job postings that best match your skillset
- Help you tailor your resume
- Write cover letters with ease
- Tell compelling stories when networking
- Bring forth your best accomplishments in interviews
- Find meaningful work
- What are the skills you enjoy doing the most?
- What are the experiences are you proud of?
- What attributes and value would you bring to an employer?
- What is your mission?
- What are your short- and long-term goals?
Be an EXPERT of yourself. If you are clear, your message will be clear, and people will immediately understand you and be top of mind when they hear about opportunities. The best way to do this is to schedule some time with yourself and have uninterrupted periods of time to write reflections and lists. Here are ways to do this; you can pick one or pick several:
- Review a list of skills and circle the ones that best describe you. Once complete review the skills you have chosen and again pick the ones that are more relevant. Continue in this fashion until you are left with about 5 to 8 skills, and/or;
- Take free on-line personality and/or career assessments, and/or;
- Pay for personality and/or career assessments to get an in-depth look, and/or;
- Take the PASSION TEST™, and/or;
- Hire a career coach to guide you through the process and help you be accountable.
I cannot emphasize enough that this is the most important step in your job search and career development. If you would like a list of skills to assess them on your own or you would like a list of free personality or career assessment websites, send me an e-mail and I will provide them. If you would like more information on the PASSION TEST™, let me know.
Next week I will show you how to find the values you want to showcase and how to create a solid value proposition. To get my next blog in your inbox, be sure to subscribe below.
Guiding you to discover your passions
Inspiring you to make it happen!
Subscribe to my Newsletter